How we help
Since 1992, Bear Necessities has been providing hope and support to families battling pediatric cancer.
- Bear Hugs provide customized dream gifts and experiences for children battling cancer. From travel to toys to everything in between, if a child can dream it, the team at Bear Necessities does their best to make it happen!
- Family Support Services provides financial relief to families battling pediatric cancer, covering the cost of groceries, gas, utility bills, or other essentials — whatever they need most, with no strings attached.
- Pediatric cancer has a profound impact on our families’ mental health. We are proud to partner with SamaraCare Counseling to deliver Counseling Services for free for pediatric cancer patients, survivors, and their immediate family members.
- Families who receive any of our direct services are encouraged to keep in touch with Bear Necessities through our Family Activities, which provide opportunities for our families to connect with each other and our broader community.
Read more about recent Bear Hugs, upcoming events, and other Bear Necessities news here.
In addition to delivering direct services for children and families:
- Our Hope Education Scholarships support post-secondary education for pediatric cancer patients, survivors, and siblings of those who experienced pediatric cancer.
- Our Bear Discoveries program invests in cancer research, in partnership with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, to work toward our ultimate goal of ending pediatric cancer once and for all.
Families never pay a penny for any of Bear Necessities’ services. We rely on the generosity of our community to make our work possible. To learn more about our services, or to request a Bear Hug for someone special, please contact your hospital social worker for a referral form, or email [email protected] or call 312-214-1200 x25 for more information.