The Bear Necessities Counseling Program helps address the psychological and emotional needs of families affected by childhood cancer. We are proud to partner with SamaraCare Counseling to provide this critical support to those who have been touched by pediatric cancer by assisting with the cost of counseling for the pediatric cancer patient and their family.
Who is eligible?
- Illinois residents who underwent pediatric cancer treatment within the past eight years (initial diagnosis or relapse) and immediate family members, including parents, step-parents, or guardians (and their respective spouse or domestic partner), siblings or step-siblings
- Counseling can occur during and/or after treatment, including bereavement counseling for those who have lost a loved one to pediatric cancer.
Counseling Program Guidelines
- Sessions can be in-person or virtual.
- 12 sessions will be subsidized (including intake and counseling sessions) per member of the immediate family.
- Bear Necessities will offset the full cost of these counseling sessions, or whatever health insurance does not cover. Families without health insurance are still welcome to participate in this program.
about samaracarE counseling
- A nonprofit, outpatient behavioral health organization that provides in-person and virtual out-patient mental health counseling for individuals, couples, and families from diverse backgrounds and varied financial means.
- Offers a wide variety of client-focused and goal-oriented counseling services in a broad range of specialty areas, so clients can find the emotional, behavioral and spiritual balance that’s right for them.
- Offers spiritually-integrated counseling for those clients interested in this approach. They respect all faith perspectives or no faith at all. They welcome but never require spiritual conversations as part of the therapeutic process.
- In-person sessions occur on site in Naperville or Downers Grove; Northside location coming soon. Virtual appointments also are available.
ready to learn more?
Email [email protected] to express interest and obtain our Counseling Referral Form.
donate to mental health
One counseling session costs $150. To help our families receive the critical mental health care they need, please consider making a donation today.